Frequently Asked Questions

For questions regarding studying or training abroad as an Erasmus student, you are kindly invited to first contact your higher education institution.


Where can I study or do a traineeship under Erasmus+?

Starting from the 2015/2016 academic year, it will be possible to study in institutions based in Programme and Partner Countries, as long as these institutions have signed an "inter-institutional agreement" with your home institution. To find out exactly where you can study/train, please contact the International Office of your higher education institution.


How long can my Erasmus+ period for studies or traineeships abroad be?

Students and doctoral candidates are able to study abroad for a period of 3 months (or one academic term or trimester), and up to a maximum of 12 months per study cycle.


How do I know if I am eligible to study or do a traineeship abroad with Erasmus+?

To study/train abroad, you must be registered in a higher education institution and you must be following studies leading to a recognised degree or other recognised tertiary level qualification, such as a Bachelor, a Master or a Doctorate.

Your institution must be located in one of the countries participating in Erasmus+ mobility for higher education (see question 5).

In addition, if your institution is located in a Programme Country, it must have been awarded the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE). This Charter is part of an accreditation procedure established to guarantee a quality framework for all participants in mobility activities. You can check your institution's website to know if it is an ECHE holder or see the full list of institutions here:

The selection criteria to study or train abroad with Erasmus+ are defined by your higher education institution. 


What are the selection criteria to participate in Erasmus+ credit mobility?

The selection criteria to study or train abroad with Erasmus+ are defined by your higher education institution. Your institution may include selection criteria such as the academic performance of the candidate, previous mobility experience, motivation, experience in the receiving country, etc.

For more information, you are kindly invited to visit your higher education institution's website or contact its international relations office.


Is it possible to have more than one mobility experience with Erasmus+ as a higher education student?

Erasmus+ enables students to study or train abroad more than once as Erasmus students as long as the minimum duration for each activity and a total maximum of 12 months per study cycle is respected. Students who follow long cycle or one-cycle study programmes, such as Medicine, can be mobile for up to 24 months during their studies.


How do I apply to study/train abroad with Erasmus+?

You will need to apply through your own higher education institution, irrespective of the kind of mobility activity you are interested in.

The International Office of your institution will be able to inform you about the conditions to participate in Erasmus+ mobility activities: details of the selection process, documents that you need to prepare, places where you can go and requirements that you will have to respect during your period abroad.


I am already studying/doing a traineeship abroad and I would like to extend it, what should I do?

You can request an extension of the duration of your period abroad at the latest one month before the foreseen end date upon which you had agreed in your Learning Agreement.

Please bear in mind that the total duration of the period abroad, including previous participation in the Erasmus-Lifelong Learning programme, cannot exceed 12 months per study cycle (except for one-cycle study programmes, such as Medicine, where the maximum is 24 months for the entire study programme).


I am looking for a Bachelor/Master/Doctoral programme on a certain discipline, where can I find information on study programmes in Europe?

The StudyPortals website is an international study choice platform, where you can find several study portals that allow you to look for Bachelor, Master or Doctoral programmes filtering per discipline (i.e. Humanities & Art) and per sub-discipline (i.e. Cultural Studies Art & Art History or Language, Literature and Cultural Studies). This same website also includes a "scholarship portal".